Skip to main content

Unreal Engine 4 Dev Update #4: Camera Rotation for Top Down Games

Hi everyone, welcome back for my next dev update, I had explained the process of implementing a Smooth Zoom functionality for the Top Down Template in Unreal Engine 4 Marketplace. If you want to check it out, you can find it here:

This time around, I'm going to explain how I implemented Camera Rotation for a Top Down Game in UE4. I've been meaning to make this one for quite some time, since I had received a few requests from my Youtube Video for the same. Since my motherboard and RAM got fried a few weeks ago, I was unable to do any work in UE4 for the past 3-4 weeks. I've ditched my old PC in the process and assembled a new one. So instead of waiting till the weekend to write all the remaining dev updates, I thought I'll get this one done with today itself.
  
Alright, Camera Rotation is a fairly simple process. Basically I just use a Timeline node that keeps looping after a key value of 360 degrees. This helps in giving a Smooth Rotation, rather than incremental values of say 90 degrees or so. I connect the input button press for clockwise and anticlockwise rotations with the 'Play' and 'Reverse' input pins of the Timeline node. This way, I just need a single Timeline node to go through the process. I then make a rotator using the Output track of the Timeline for Yaw and the default Pitch & Roll values of the Spring Arm component. Then I set this new rotation to the Spring Arm Component. Since I've currently implemented this in the Player Character class, I can directly call the Spring Arm component. But I might have to shift this to the Player Controller class soon. Here's a screenshot of the whole process in my UE4 Blueprint:


And below you can see the Timeline in action. I've made a track and set a range of 5 seconds, which is then set to loop. Key values are 0 at t=0 and 360 at t=5.


With that, we have a solid Camera Rotation functionality for our Top Down Game. You can see this in action here:



If you're interested in seeing more of my work in Unreal Engine 4, you can check out my Youtube channel as I usually update the videos there before posting updates here:

So that's it for this update. I'll probably do the next update on 'Implementing a HUD-Based Command System' for Top Down Games.


Popular posts from this blog

Unreal Engine 4 Tutorial: Smooth Zoom using Mouse Wheel for Top Down Template

Well, I had already written a tutorial for implementing Smooth Zoom functionality for Top Down Template. But it was based on keyboard inputs. Since most Top Down PC games use mouse wheel for zoom, I decided to make a tutorial for the same. The core logic here is the same as the one implemented by Ryan Jon for the custom camera in his RTS Community Project. If anyone's interested, they can get the code for the RTS Community Project here:

UE4 RTS Community Project

Anyways, he has replaced the default camera for the characters with a general camera since that's more ideal for developing an RTS game. Since a basic Top Down game with a single playable character does not need a separate custom camera, I decided to implement the same functionality for the default player camera in UE4's Top Down Template. So let's get down to it.

First of all we need to make a custom curve from the content browser. We will be using this curve to define the smooth camera movement while zooming …

Unreal Engine 4 Tutorial #4: Basic HUD Based Command UI for Top Down Turn Based Games

Hi, welcome back for the next tutorial. And in this tutorial, I'll be explaining how to create a basic Command UI for top down turn based games using HUD blueprints. By the time we reach the end of the tutorial, we'll have a Command UI with movement and fire action commands, and a player character that responds to the commands. Here's a screenshot showing the end product: 


Oh, and this tutorial is gonna be quite big, compared to earlier ones. So I advise everyone to go through the screenshots, before reading through. If it's clear, there's no need to read through the whole thing, partly because I've written this with a beginner audience target in mind. Ofcourse, if you have doubts, I hope they will be clarified in the written description. If not, feel free to ask me in the comments.
So let's get started. Again, I'll be starting with the top down template. First of all, we need to create a new HUD blueprint. If you're a beginner, you can find this by f…

Unreal Engine 4 Tutorial #3: Unit Selection Decals for RTS Games

Hi, welcome back for another UE4 Tutorial. This time, I'll be walking you through how to set up unit selection decals for RTS games. So the decals need to be visible, when a particular unit is selected, and set to hidden as soon as the unit is deselected. For this tutorial, I'm gonna start off from the Unreal Top Down Template.

First of all, I'll be changing the default controls a bit. Instead of using left mouse button to move the units, I'll be using right mouse button for character movement. I already have a decal texture, that I created in GIMP. If you don't have one, you could get my decal texture from the link below:
DropBox: Character Selection Decal Texture
So once you have the texture ready, next step is to set up your decal material. For creating a decal material, we need to set the 'Material Domain' in the details panel to 'Deferred Decal'. I'm also setting the blend mode to 'Emissive' in my case. Then we multiply the texture wit…